HCM Centers of Excellence and Programs
HCMA POLICY: HCM Centers of Excellence or Program as recognized by the HCMA. Click link to see the complete policy.
Over the next few months the HCMA will be collecting the needed data to identify programs in accordance with our new terminology. While this process is underway programs will simply be listed without designation. We hope to have this process completed by 2012.
Just as HCM is a variable condition HCM Centers are also highly variable in services and experience level. Some programs have decades of experience, strong surgical programs, extensive publications in scientific literature, and teams of subspecialists specifically dedicated to HCM and extensive outreach programs. Other programs may be newer, referrer and out for surgery, referred to subspecialists who were not part of the HCM team, have limited scientific publications and limited community outreach.
Some programs are run by cardiologists who specialize in cardiac imaging and in the view of the HCMA and is the preferred subspecialty to have as the director of HCM program. This does not mean however that programs run by other subspecialties do not provide quality care or are not considered for HCMA recognition.
HCM programs performing high volumes of surgeries per year are preferred over programs performing infrequent surgeries. However, some programs refer to centers on a regular basis where high volumes surgeries are preformed and this is taking into consideration during the evaluation process.
Each program needs to be evaluated on its own merits and balanced against the needs of the individual patient or family.
The HCMA offers these designations as a guide to assist you in choosing the program that best fits your needs. The HCMA makes no guarantees about the services rendered within the center or the quality of care each individual will receive. Further the HCMA does not advocate for substituting the care of a local cardiologist for the care at a Center of Excellence, but rather that your local cardiologist work in cooperation with the Center of Excellence to ensure you are receiving the highest quality of care possible.
HCM Programs in the United Sates:
- The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation
- Barry J. Maron, M.D. - Minneapolis, Minnesota
- For appointments call 612-863-3996
- Mayo Clinic Treatment of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Steve Ommen, M.D. Rochester, Minnesota
- For appointments call 507-538-1434
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Harry M. Lever, M.D - Cleveland, Ohio
- For appointments call 216-444-6970
- Tufts-NEMC Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center
- Martin Maron, M.D. Boston, Massachusetts
- For appointments call 617-636-8066
- Brigham and Women's Hospital - HCM Program
- Carolyn Ho, M.D. Boston, Massachusetts
- For appointments call 617-732-7921
- The Seidman Lab at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School
- Genetics Research Program: Christine Seidman, M.D.
- St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center HCM Program
- Mark Sherrid, M.D New York, NY
- For appointments call 212-492-5550 x1200
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Division of Cardiology, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Clinic
- Joseph Murgo M.D. and Marc Feldman, M.D. San Antonio, Texas
- For appointments call 210-450-4888
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital's Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute
- Robert Bonow, M.D Chicago, Illinois
- For appointments call 312-695-1052
- University of Michigan Cardiovascular Center’s Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Clinic
- Sharlene Day, M.D. Ann Arbor, Michigan
- For appointments call 734-936-4000
- Washington University Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Program
- Keith Mankowitz, M.D. Saint Louis, Missouri
- For appointments call 314-362-1291
- The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center at Stanford
- Euan Ashley, M.D. Stanford, California
- For appointments call 650-723-6459
- Emory Hospital - Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Sibley Heart Center
- Adults: B. Robinson Williams III, M.D. Atlanta, GA
- Pediatrics:Margaret (Peggy) Strieper, DO, Atlanta, GA
- For appointments call: Adults:404-778-5746 Peds:404-256-2593/800-542-2233
- University of Kansas Hospital
- Loren Berenbom, M.D. Kansas City, Kansas
- For appointments call 913-588-9600
- Johns Hopkins Heart Institute
- Theodore Abraham, M.D. Baltimore, MD
- For appointments call 410-955-3996
- Winthrop University Hospital-Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center
- Srihari Naidu, M.D. Mineola, New York
- For appointments call
- University of Washington
- David Owens, M.D. Seattle, WA
- For appointments call
- The Gregory M. Hirsch Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center at Hackensack University Medical Center/ The Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hosptial
- Robert Tozzi, M.D. Hackensack, NJ
- For appointments call (201) 487-7617
- Centeral Florida Cardiology
- Marcos Hazday M.D. Orlando, FL
- For appointments call (407)841-7151
The Centers are listed in random order. It is important to check with your insurance provider prior to making an appointment at a center. The HCMA does not endorse any particular program. To be listed as an HCM Center of Excellence or HCM Program there are basic criteria the center must present to the HCMA to be recognized by the HCMA . If you are with a medical program that would like to be evaluated for possible addition to this list please contact the HCMA at 973-983-7429 for more information.
Centers located outside the United States include:
- Azienda Ospedaliera Universitara Careggi, Florence Italy
- Referral Center for Cardiomyopathies
- Email: Cecchif@aou-careaggi.toscana.it
- Please visit www.cardiomyopathy.org for a center near you