Screening for the general public
This area is specificly for those without a family member already diagnosed with HCM.
Screening should be considered if:
- You have had a family member die suddenly and unexpectedly under the age of 50.
- You have symptoms that are consistent with HCM.
- Including - shortness of breath, chest pain or discomfort, passing out, nearly passing out, lightheadedness/dizziness, palpitations, unexplained fatigue, and sudden cardiac arrest
- You or your children have been told you have a murmur AND you have a family history of sudden cardiac arrest (or possible "heart attack") under the age of 50.
- You have been diagnosed with a combination of the most common "mimickers of HCM"
- Asthma - however you have never had a pulmonary function test or your PFT was inconclusive or normal.
- Innocent heart murmur
- Panic attacks
- Mitral valve prolapse
The attached RISK ASSESSMENT TOOL is a wonderful aid for the general public to know if they are at risk for HCM or other diseases that may cause sudden cardiac arrest (SCA).
- American College of Cardiology/European Society of Cardiology clinical expert consensus document on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines. Maron BJ, McKenna WJ, Danielson GK, Kappenberger LJ, Kuhn HJ, Seidman CE, Shah PM, Spencer WH 3rd, Spirito P, Ten Cate FJ, Wigle ED; Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents. American College of Cardiology; Committee for Practice Guidelines. European Society of Cardiology.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003 Nov 5;42(9):1687-713
- Recommendations and considerations related to preparticipation screening for cardiovascular abnormalities in competitive athletes: 2007 update: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism: endorsed by the American College of Cardiology Foundation. Maron BJ, Thompson PD, Ackerman MJ, Balady G, Berger S, Cohen D, Dimeff R, Douglas PS, Glover DW, Hutter AM Jr, Krauss MD, Maron MS, Mitten MJ, Roberts WO, Puffer JC; American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism.Circulation. 2007 Mar 27;115(12):1643-455
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy for Patients, Their Families and Interested Physicians Second Edition, Maron and Salberg, Wiley publishing 2006