PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Meds for dental work

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
12-17-2002, 11:56 AM
[Pre-Meds for dental work]

Author: Susan McCormick (---.ceg.com)

Date: 07-29-02 11:22

Hi All!

I have a question. I know that we all need to pre-medicate ourselves with antibiotics before any dental procedures and my dentist is excellent in making sure that I do this, but recently he told me that the American Heart Association had decreased the amount of antibiotics for this. I use to take 4 caps of 500mg each of amoxicillian and then 2 caps later that evening ( like six hours later). My dentist says the new dosage recommended is only the 4 caps of 500mg each 1 hour before and none afterwards. I'd just like to know what you all think since I have seen several postings of people getting sick ( I can't remember the exact name) after having dental work done even though they were medicated. Any advice?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Pre-Meds for dental work]

Author: Dora (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-29-02 13:51

Hi Susan,

I too went to the dentist in the last couple of weeks and was told the same thing. I was also told that when I get my tooth filled which I have an appointment for sometime in September I believe I will not need to pre-medicate. I too am wondering how others feel about this. I thought that any time I go to the dentist I am suppose to pre-medicate. He also didn't have me pre-medicate when he did the inital visit, which I didn't feel to good about because they did x-rays and they could of scratched my gums at the time. Am I confused about this or is the dentist correct. Lisa you had an infection following your procedure if I remember right.

Dora

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 07-29-02 14:01

I don't have HCM, but have another heart condition where there is some regurgitation and have had to pre-medicate before dental all my life. I would definitely ask again about pre-medicating before getting a filling. You know they at least have to give you a shot for the novacaine.

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 07-29-02 14:19

Dear all,

You should pre-medicate for EVERYTHING at the dentist because the gums are easily scratched and that is all it takes. Besides, what if they get in there and find that they have to do more work than planned? They will have to stop and reschedule for another time so you can be premedicated.

I don't know if different heart diseases require different dosing but I do know that drug-resistant bacteria are becoming a problem, which may be while the amounts are being dropped.

I'll see what we can find out about the dosing, but DORA---please insist on premedicating for a filling and if he won't, then find someone who will. Endocarditits and stroke are nothing to fool with.

take care

Sarah

Author: Chris Brown (209.77.217.---)

Date: 07-29-02 15:02

To Everyone,

I recommend everyone premedicates before Dental Work. I take 4- 500 mg amoxicllan 1 hr before & 2 -500 mg 4-6 hours after. This still does not guarantee that you will not get sick. Six years ago I got a germ that was resistent to Amoxicillan after my dental work that I took my Premeds for. A few weeks after my dental work I came down w/ a sore throat., and for 6 weeks after that episode I was in and out of the Doctors complaining about night sweats and my fingers turning blue. Finally I got one good doctor that told me when I break out with a fever go directly into the hospital and get a blood test. They came back the next day I had endocarditis. I was in the hospital for a week getting constant IV anti-bitoics, and 4 weeks of IV's at home. The Doctor from Stanford said I had a germ that was resistent to Amoxicillan. The purpose of my story is not to scare you away from getting Dental work. The purpose is to educate us all what we have all gone thru. I took my premeds and still got sick, if I would of known what I know now I could of caught it a lot sooner.

Thanks for listening

Chris Brown

Author: Steve (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 07-29-02 17:42

I too have been switched to just the 4- 500 mg amoxicllan 1 hr before procedure. I also would lke to know if dosage is correct.

Date: 07-29-02 17:58

I have enough meds that I can take them however I feel I need too, dentist can't do anything after I have taken them but treat me.

Dora

Date: 07-29-02 19:08

Hi

I've got another question for you guys. I had my two boys 11 and 13 tested for MCH. The doctor said they both have mild HCM, but he is not going to diognoice them yet. My question is should I pre-medicate them or are they ok for now? I have not mentioned this to the dentist. They both have an appointment Friday. Guess I should contact their dentist.

Dora

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 07-29-02 19:39

RE: Premedication--Is this the week for going to the dentist??? My niece is going in the morning and I picked up her meds (no joke 1 hour ago!) and noticed it was only 4 - 500mg pills, then I remembered that the AHA changed the guidelines to this dose. I was told by an infectious disease doctor to continue with the post procedure dose, only because I had endocarditis before. So Yes the new guidelines only call for the pre procedure dose - -they claimed in part that most people forgot to take the post procedure dose and it appears not to make any difference.

Those with HCM should take premedication prior to dental work as a general precaution - -I know I speak for Chris and myself when I say ...if you can avoid endocarditis DO IT however you can!

For those who may not know I actually had a stroke after my endocarditis, not something you want to try!

Lisa

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 07-29-02 21:08

Dora

HCM is HCM, so if they have it, just ask the dentist for premedication prescriptions for them and the doctor doesn't have to be bothered.

Sarah