PDA

View Full Version : dizzy at night

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
12-17-2002, 11:37 AM
[dizzy at night]

Author: Anthony deSpirito (---.24.153.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)

Date: 04-25-02 23:07

For the last couple of days my husband has been getting dizzy everytime his head hit the pillow to go to sleep. He has HCM with some obstruction and was told to double his Toprol from 50mg to 100mg. (He is getting an ICD in one week) Just curious if anyone else gets dizzy. We are trying to figure out if it's meds or just another bothering symtom. Always searching for some answers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: dizzy at night]

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-26-02 01:03

Dear Marta

Is Anthony taking the toprol just before bed? Was he very active, like doing exercise, just before bed? Does he have any other symptoms with the dizziness like tachycardia, chest pain or shortness of breath? He he hydrated? Eating heavy meals before bed?

I know this is a litany of questions, but you can't narrow down the cause of dizziness without asking these questions. He should call his doctor to discuss the symptoms first thing tomorrow. Better safe than sorry.

I'm sure the ICD will go well.

take care,

Sarah

Author: Anthony deSpirito (---.157.80.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)

Date: 04-26-02 20:38

Sara,

He is taking his Toprol every morning with a multi-vitamin. No he was not very active before bed. He does get tachycardia, chest pain (lately more intense that normally) and shortness of breath. His daily consumption of liquid is diet coke or decaf. ice tea. He did have a semi-full meal last night (around 7:30-late night from work) but the dizziness has been about three to four days now all at night.

I called his cardio. on Wed. to let them know but they really never said anything about it. (I did not like that). (Dr. Fisch)

Still keeping and eye out on him.

thanks.....Marta

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-26-02 22:48

Dear Marta,

It is harder to find, but they make caffiene-free Coke, which I recommend. And he should add some plain water to his mix. And I could call that doctor again and make them address the issue.

If the dizziness, tachycardia and chest pain are all happening together at night, he may need a night time dose, too. Please bring this up to the doctor.

good luck,

Sarah

Author: Dora (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-26-02 22:59

Hi

When I was first diognoised with HCM I use to drink diet soda's also, but found that the artificial sweetners make my heart beat crazy.

Dora J.

Date: 04-26-02 23:01

I will call the doctor again and let you know what he says.

P.S. Thanks again SaraH!

Date: 04-26-02 23:23

Dear Marta

You are very welcome,

SaraH

PS --I would hide the diet coke, and see what happens (or doesn't)!

Date: 04-26-02 23:32

Hard to hid diet coke because I believe it's part of his body. At home he drinks decaf ice tea but I KNOW he drinks diet coke at work. We are also looking to join weight watchers (to learn on how to eat corretcly). My husband keeps hinting he wants to go back on the Atkins diet. Which has worked for us before but I am worried about him going on it now and both cardio and electro dr's discouraged it also.

Coincidently, today on the news Dr. Atkins went into Cardiat Arrest (I think a couple of days ago) and low and behold he too has HCM. Go figure. We need to find a low carb diet for both and learn now more then every on how to eat right.

Thanks everyone.

Marta

Date: 04-27-02 09:27

Dear Marta

HCM is everywhere, it seems. I went to my alma mater to talk to them about grad school and the head of the department I was talking to --turns out he has HCM, too.

Amazing.

I would ask Anthony to perform a little emperical experiment---ask him to give up diet coke for a week and see how he feels. If the stuff makes a difference, he'll feel it, but it does have to be a week (at least 5 days) to make sure. Just 1 or 2 days isn't enough.

take care,

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 04-27-02 12:41

Update on Dr. Atkins -

it appears he does not have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy but a form of dilated cardiomyopathy. Interestingly I, he was on the today show on Friday morning discussing how his cardiomyopathy had nothing to do with his diet, although critics of his have claimed the diet is not heart healthy.

I take no position whether his diet and his diagnosis have anything to do with each other. But it is interesting that no matter how well we try to take care of ourselves, sometimes our bodies have a different plan.

Regarding Anthony symptoms, there is also another factor that I have not heard you mention. Stress. There is a major changes going into your lives, this may be causing some anxiety, which is completely normal. Talk to the doctors about the symptoms and I'm sure they will take good care if him.

Lisa