PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil supplements, my personal experience...

mtlieb
10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Just my experience for what it's worth... take with a grain of salt.

Started taking fish oil supplements about a month ago in an attempt to be more healthy... three capsules per day or 3600mg of fish oil which provided about 1200mg of combined EPA/DHA. It took me a while to put two and two together but within about a week of starting the fish oil I had CHF symptoms, was coughing like crazy, had chest pain, and generally felt like crap.

Within several days of quitting the fish oil capsules my cough has completely disappeared and I haven't had any trouble since.

It might actually be that that I am allergic to some ingredient in the capsules, but also there are certain heart conditions for which fish oil is not recommended, and I wonder now if HCM shouldn't be listed among them.

At any rate, just providing the info in case anyone else has been taking a fish oil supplement and experienced odd symptoms.

Jim

Frosty
10-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Jim -

Sorry you had complications but glad that you are better now that you stopped the pills.

I know this sounds overly cautious, but I honestly believe if you have a chronic medical condition that you should not be taking anything, prescription or OTC, without the consent of your treating physician.

Marian

Eileen2345
10-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi Jim,

I used to take fish oil too -- I did not feel well when I took them. I was more tired, more weak - just overall felt bad. Didn't think it was the supplements, it's just fish oil, it's supposed to make me feel better - not the case for me.

I didn't realize how much better I felt until I could not afford to buy the fish oil anymore and I stopped taking the supplements.

Personally, they are not for me either.

It's good you posted this.

Tulip333
10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Jim,

I also had terrible trouble taking fish oil - I think I am sensitive to the amines in the sardines, anchovies and mackeral that were used in the softgels. I have been taking Barlean Highest Lignan Flaxseed oil for over a decade. It works very well and I have no reaction. I am also sometimes sensitive to salycilates - so I am always very careful about any supplement/food/medication I try.

Good luck.

electrolyte
10-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Interesting topic. The medical literature is all over the place on this one. (You can also search these forums for previous discussions. Seems we still have the same questions.) I found a great summation of the current state of things in this article. http://www.examiner.com/nutrition-in-sacramento/university-of-san-francisco-studies-how-fish-oil-worsens-certain-heart-conditions Excellent links! I think if you think it might not be right for you, it probably isn't.

Moosedreams
10-11-2011, 08:14 AM
I agree with Tulip's Barlean Flaxseed oil. Not only does it give you the Omega3 that the fish oil does but it is only one of two brands that specifically say it is manufactured in the U.S.A. which is important for the quality of supplements that we should all make sure we demand. The other U.S.A. made flaxseed oil I found is Trader Joes brand.

Toodle pip... Moosedreams

mtlieb
10-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I know this sounds overly cautious, but I honestly believe if you have a chronic medical condition that you should not be taking anything, prescription or OTC, without the consent of your treating physician.
I absolutely agree, in fact it was my local cardio who recommended fish oil, vis-ŕ-vis the Ornish diet, as being heart healthy. I just think there is so much yet unknown about HCM to determine whether fish oil falls on the good or bad side of the equation. I already knew that people with difibrillators and/or chronic arrhythmias should not take fish oil, but since I have neither of those I thought I was in the clear. Regardless, it has always been my position that any supplement, no matter how innocuous it seems, should be disclosed to your doctor.

Lisa Salberg
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Interestingly fish oil is given to those with rhythm disorders by SOME doctors. Truth.. we dont know enough about supplements and HCM.. I am working on a project.. we may be able to shed some light on this.. stay tuned!

Best to all.
Lisa