PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Marine Recruit Dies at basic training camp

Julie E
08-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Another sad story of a young life lost.

PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (AP) -- A Marine recruit from Kentucky has died after a training exercise at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island.

Marine officials said Friday they are investigating the Monday death of 20-year-old Adrien E. Augustin of Covington, Ky. He collapsed after finishing a physical fitness test and was pronounced dead at a Beaufort hospital.

Augustin was scheduled to graduate from boot camp on Aug. 28, 2009. Officials say he had already undergone the last part of the physical-fitness requirement.

Second Lt. Sharon Hyland says an autopsy has been performed to determine the cause of his death, but the results are not back yet.

Augustin's body will arrive in the Tri-State Friday evening. The Patriot Guard says there will be a procession from the Cincinnati Northern Kentucky International Airport, down Donaldson Road to Dixie Highway then all the way into Covington where it will end at the Middendorf Bullock Funeral Home on Main Street. The Patriot Guard is asking people to line the procession and show their respect for Augustin.

Augustin graduated from Newport High School in 2007 where played football and basketball.

Those who knew him say he will be missed.

"I would occasionally see him over the last year and he'd give me updates. He told me he was going to join the Marine Corps and to hear of his sudden death and the capacity of which it happened has been a hard thing for people to take especially here at Newport High School," said Scott Draud, Principal at Newport High School.

Former Football Coach Jim Hyder said, "My heart goes out to his family. You think somebody dies after they live to an old age and not when you are in your twenties. Its a shock and my prayers are with his family."

The Visitation is Tuesday August 25, 2009, from 4-8 p.m. at Middendorf-Bullock Funeral Home in Covington.

The Funeral Service is on Wednesday August 26, 2009, at noon at Kentucky Veterans Cemetery North Chapel, Williamstown

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Kentucky-Marine-Recruit-Dies-At-SC-Base/ifljOQODiUqf3gZBSjZY7A.cspx