PDA

View Full Version : Post-op setback

jenn_nb
09-13-2007, 05:22 PM
My husband was 10 days post myectomy and doing extremely well (almost too good to be true) and he has since developed a peri-anal abcess that has landed him in hospital with fever and getting iv antibiotics. This feels like a huge setback, he feels much more tired and emotionally drained (and so do I). Not to mention painful and extremely difficult to move around now!

Has anybody else dealt with any setbacks?

Reenie
09-13-2007, 06:39 PM
There are a lot of people here who have had setbacks. Some were more serious than others, but all are very draining. Please let him know he isn't alone and that he will kick this and feel much better soon.

gfox42
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I want to echo Reenie's comment. I had a lot of post-op complications, and at one point said dejectedly "even my complications are having complications." (A long story, not worth repeating, but it was true). My local cardiologist just said, "you WILL get through this, and you'll be feeling better in a matter of weeks." He was right.

I don't know what fraction of myectomy patients have some important complication, but if I remember correctly, it's a large fraction. These things are probably much worse to deal with as post-heart-surgery complications than if we had them at other times, because, well, the whole process is scary and because we want to make progress. But to steal a line from my cardiologist, your husband WILL get through this, and he'll be feeling better in a matter of weeks.

Gordon

rgong
09-15-2007, 12:59 AM
I had some setbacks that were, relative to what others on this board have reported, relatively minor. But they never feel minor when you're the one going through them! Gordon is right, a pretty significant fraction of folks experience non-trivial complications while recovering from this surgery. I believe the number routinely tossed around for post-op a-fib alone is something like 40%. I experienced a different kind of arrhythmia that nonetheless landed me back in the hospital for a day, and also an annoying low-grade fever for several weeks related to inflammation of the pericardium. Another poster on this board, elmatt, periodically encouraged me to keep a positive attitude (and he should know, he experienced way worse complications than I did and still came out the other end in pretty good shape), and I'd encourage your hubby in the same manner. It *will* get better, and "this too shall pass." Hang in there.

Pam Alexson
09-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Me Too,

It is tough when you want to realize all the positive effects of a myectomy and some complications are holding you back. Assure him that it will get better when the storm clears. I went back in 2 additional times post op and the last was after 7 weeks. Had a-fib post op and 2 weeks later and then fluid around my left lung that had to be tapped and drained.

By 12 weeks I was living in my new way of improved quality life and steaming upwards ..no longer having complications to worry about. Tell him to keep looking forward to better days.

IF YOU WAIT FOR THEM THEY WILL COME.

Pam

tyreke28
09-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Hang in there, it does level off after awhile. I had two complications from my surgery but they were not cardiac related. The hardest part of the recovery for me was finding out that I am allergic to all of the pain meds so had to recover from my myectomy using tylenol and motrin. This made recovery very long and very painful. The pain made it harder to get moving after surgery so where some people feel like walking and doing things after a month or so it took me a year. But this is me this been a little over a year and a half and I am finally beginning to feel "better".
Hang in there....