PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take a beta blocker to start working?

BrokenPunk
02-25-2006, 03:21 PM
how long does it take a beta blocker to start working to slow/stabilize your heart rate?

just wondering.. hours? days? weeks?

Reenie
02-25-2006, 04:08 PM
It will take from a few days to a few weeks to get the levels in your bloodstream and equalized. While you're waiting try to take the meds at the same time every day so your body can work on equalizing faster.

Reenie

Pam Alexson
02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
This is true but , you should feel pretty immediate effects if it is doing the right job for you. Taking your own BP and pulse will give you a sence of how it is working. As several weeks pass , you with your physician may make dose adjustments as it may be too high or too low. It is good to let him know how you are responding to the dose he prescribes.
Calcium channel blockers( many of us take those also) in addition to beta blockers can compound the slowing of the heart.
Never stop beta blockers cold turkey once you start; there can be very serious side effects to doing that. Some of the initial troublesome side effects of beta blockers can let up after the 2 weeks or more as the nervous system begins to really adjust to the effects and consequently, you feel better from the positive effects.

Pam

Janet
02-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Hello,

When I started on sotalol it took a few days to kick in, but everyone is different. I was fortunate to be on the right dose the first time.

I have to repeat what Pam stated, don't stop beta blockers cold turkey. My doc wanted me to cut my dose in half and after a week I had some sort of tachycardia and again six days later. I am now back on full dose.

Be well, Janet